10/29/11

Perdido Street Station

Finally! This was 5-6 weeks worth of a single class this semester. It was quite a sprint! I feel like very often at Art Center there's this push to say "I need to do some animation style" or "I need to do some live-action style" stuff, and for once, I'm happy to not decide on a style, but just sit down and draw whatever came out. This is definitely not an exercise in originality or high-end polish, but I learned a lot about myself from not trying to force myself down any one tunnel. Due to the short time frame, this end result as a lot farther behind then where I had hoped in week 1. Can't wait to get out of school so I can think at my own pace again and hopefully start breaking some new ground, mentally speaking.

EDIT: In case anyone is wondering, I made an enormous error when I did this project years ago- while listening to the audiobook I managed to completely miss the fact that Isaac is, in fact, black, so I had drawn\painted him as white. I took it down until I have time to redesign the character and do it justice. Please accept my apologies for that :(

Thank you all for looking, I hope you enjoy it!

















20 comments:

Zachary said...

It seems as if you've transitioned into producing consistently professional-levl work...

Anonymous said...

Woah, awesome concept art. Top-notch rendering and beautiful designs. I especially like the bird-character. Great job.

Annis Naeem said...

last painting is tightt. also liking the general look. pretty nice

Thomas Zenteno said...

Awesome progression my friend. It's great to see all of this stuff together!

Jparked said...

beautiful range of work justin!

Hope all is well

Justin said...

Thanks for the support guys! :)

Ashlyn said...

Really cool! I love perdido street station, and I think you really captured the look of it :)

Jason Kang said...

wow, nice work justin!! i really like the whole cross-genre feel you've got going on here!

Adam Temple said...

Thanks for stopping by Justin! I really love your work aswell. The bug-headed lady here and the environment on the bottom are stellar!

Robert Simons said...

Woot this stuff is grate Justin your kicking ass man =)

Ben Greene said...

Dude, these are all great but that layout at the end was my fav! Really great work here. It's obvious you had fun :)

Betsy Bauer said...

Crazy awesome as always, sir.

Tom Scholes said...

dope

Yasemin Baran said...

One word: BADASS!!!
Love your painting style, all those textures add so much life. That man, by the way, looks like you! hehe
keep up the friggin amazing work Justin! ;)

Wayne Parker said...

F@ck man, super dope - wow you've come a long way. :D

Thom Tenery said...

Nice work, Justin. It's fun to see an interpretation of Perdido.

Andrey Egorov said...

Fantastic works! Awesome!

Unknown said...

Too clean. Also, Isaac is dark skinned, bro.

Unknown said...

Brilliant works! Just as I imagined New Crobuzon

merkezekrem said...

The mirrors doesn't seem like they'll work.